Thursday, January 17, 2013

Will You Be My Tweetheart?

My husband and I are college sweethearts. We did grow up together, going to the same school and even the same church. Even though we are 6 months apart in age we were one grade year apart in school. He was a grade older than me. During my freshman year of college we had Sunday School Christmas party. It was at this Sunday School Christmas party, while watching It's A Wonderful Life, that he sat next to me on the couch and ate five hotdogs and three hamburgers." Oh, his poor parents!", was all I could think about. Coming from a family with three girls and one skinny brother, I had never in my life seen someone eat so much at one sitting. He did pique my curiosity and later on in the evening he asked me out on a date and two years later the same Sunday School class had an ornament party for our upcoming wedding. We married in December, the month we met.
 
So, in honor of our first Valentine's together (many, many years ago) I made two tweetheart birds. They will be tweethearts 4ever!
Legs
To make the legs, twist two 6 1/4" pipe cleaners together. Using Love Bug's (trinket box) leg and foot instructions make tweetheart's. Sew the red felt feet onto the pipe cleaner feet using a buttonhole stitch. You might have to adjust the pipe cleaner feet a little, cutting the pipe cleaner if needed.
 
Wings
I added a small length of pipe cleaner to the wings after lightly stuffing them. This will help them to hold their shape when you bend them. Glue the wings onto the their bodies.
 
Face
To make an eye socket, so that the love bird doesn't look bug eyed, indent first with thread. Going from the back with knotted thread, come to the front, make a tiny stitch, then go to the back making another tiny stitch, push needle over to where other eye should be (hiding thread in the head not on the outside), doing the same as with first eye. Tie off in the neck area. You can use the neck area for the black thread for the eyes, this way the black thread will not show, and the black thread is not necessary for the eye sockets. On the back of the head you should only see a few tiny stitches. These are hardly noticeable, but if it bothers you just cover them up with feathers. It didn't bother me, so I just left them exposed. *If you need help with this step, just let me know and I will gladly add some photos to better explain.
 
Beak
After you cut the beak pieces out, spread a tiny, tiny bit of glue along the straight side of one beak piece. Now, fold  (if you want you can cut this one a tiny bit smaller, it is the lower beak) pointed end to pointed end and let the glue dry. Do not pin it, the pin marks will show (of course I found out the hard way). For the top part of the beak, do the same with the glue along the straight edge, now tuck the lower beak inside the upper beak, fold. Let glue dry. Glue in place on tweetheart's face.
 
Cheeks
Use blush or chalk (wonderful tip that a reader sent to me-I need to get me some tinting chalk) for cheeks.
Just poke a tiny feather into the top of the head.
 
Apron
This apron was a real pain to make. Very tiny! I did not include the instructions on how to make it because I thought it might cause too much frustration and this is suppose to be a fun project!
You can use a wide ribbon for the apron and just run a gathering stitch around the top and then tie it on to girl tweetheart. Easy Peasy!!
 
Bow tie
Tiny piece of ribbon, knotted and glued in place.
.
 
 
Tweetheart Trinket Box

"will you be my tweetheart?"

I turned their feet inward. I think that it gives them an innocent, shy quality. Kind of like Suzy Zoo.
 
Suzy's Zoo Greeting Cards
She was the inspiration for these two tweethearts!
 

Girl bunny now added to the felties.

Had this skirt since I was a child. I am not sure what/who it belonged too, but it looks perfect on my little bunny.

 
Have a wonderful day and we might get a little snow tonight,
Holly

16 comments:

  1. Holly, these truly are the cutest little Tweethearts I have ever seen! Such a very sweet story, lol what a lot to eat! Cute, cute, cute! E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lol- he used to eat that much now it is just one hamburger. Our son now can just about eat that much at one sitting :)

      Delete
  2. What a nice love Story!!! I love your tweets! Too cute!! I used to love Suzy's Zoo also! Such great inspiration! And the bunnies - always have to have a girl for the boy!!!!
    Hugs, Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Suzy's Zoo was my favorite growing up and still is. I think all the Zoo characters are so cute. Yes, must have bunny girl to go with bunny boy!

      Delete
  3. Sweet story. My boys married the girls they started dating in middle school. I feel like I watched them grow up.
    I just left a message on Elisabeth's blog saying that the two of you are twins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat that your boys married their middle school sweethearts!! And I am so flattered that you think Elizabeth and I are twins :) Can't wait for the heart swap!

      Delete
  4. Great Love Story! I love your work. These are so adorable, I have a sewing machine, I really should try to make some things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that you do try some of these Valentine felties. They are alot of fun to make. You can easily hand stitch them too!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet love story. And I adore these precious tweety birds...look at those cute beaks! Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that you enjoy the pattern. I had originally planned to wait until Easter, just couldn't though, but they will be back at Easter dressed in their finest :)

      Delete
  6. What a sweet story! :) Your tweethearts are soo cute! :) My husband and I started dating in high school, we've been together for nine years this June :) And oh my that's alot to eat!! LOl. xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, that is wonderful that you dated in high school, stayed together and then married! And 9 years together! You two truly are tweethearts! Lol-thankfully he doesn't eat that much anymore, our teenage son does though :)

      Delete
  7. Your creat the cutest things! I love your love story about you and your husband. My hubby and I were high school sweethearts! He is 1 year and 5 months older than me! We started dating when I was 15 and we got married when I was 17. It will be 31 years this October 15th! We got married the same day my paternal grandparents did.
    Have a wonderful weekend and hope you got snow, we had a lot falling from heaven but not much stuck to the ground.
    Hugs,
    Lynn and the wienee ramch crew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn! Wow! Married at 17, but I bet you felt old enough to get married:) We were married at 21 and we felt like we knew everything and that were so mature-lol! And 31 years married!! That's awesome! We only had a few flurries :( and it didn't stick, maybe next time. The wienee ranch crew sounds like a lot of fun! Say "hi" to them from me.

      Delete
  8. Cute little birds, I bet Dear Hubby could still eat that many hotdogs and burgers :) Love looking on your blog each day to see what you've been creating! Love to you, E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh boy, Dear Hubs would clobber me if he knew that I told that story-lol! As you know, he has toned down some. I am so glad that you come and visit. I enjoy your blog so much too! You must post some pics of the outside of your house and the inside :) We need to plan a visit to come and see you. We should have this weekend. DH and kids get Monday off.....boohoo would have been so much fun!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.