Thursday, January 24, 2013

Why, hello Mr. President!

February brings two of my favorite February holidays: Valentine's Day and Presidents' Day. I love Valentine's Day for the obvious: express love to the ones that you love. I love Presidents' Day because of the history. I have always loved history, even political history. In 10th grade I had a history teacher, Mr. Carter. He was a kind, gentle old school soul who enjoyed history and enjoyed talking about it. He loved to call us "Dear hearts". The year that I had him would be his last, he retired after that year. 

When I think of Presidents' Day, I automatically turn to President Abraham Lincoln. With his iconic tall hat and black beard he makes a perfect Presidents' Day figure. 

He holds a miniature Gettysburg Address in his left hand and a feather pen in his right. I did some research and found out that Lincoln likely used a type of fountain pen but I thought the feather pen looked old fashion.


 

I know that it looks like he has a lot of parts, but he really doesn't. I didn't want to squish them all together onto one page so I spread them out over two. 
He is made the same was as all of the other felties. Follow the beard and robe (this will help with Lincoln's coat) instructions for Father Time and the hat instructions for the Snowman Trinket Box. If you notice the hat brim has a section cut out. This cut out will help the hat fit better on Lincoln's head. 


His head, nose and arms are flesh colored felt. His hair, beard, hat, eyes, eyebrows, coat and legs are black felt. His body was made out of white felt. Rub some blush on his face for cheeks. 



 A 1" piece of black ribbon was tied in a knot and used for his necktie. It is easier if you start with a 2 1/2" long ribbon and cut to size. I cut a feather down to size to use for his feather pen. His mouth was stitched on using two strands of embroidery floss.
I painted the lid to his box black. I printed out a copy of the Gettysburg Address and then mod podged it on to the bottom of the box. Go ahead, make him in honor of your favorite history teacher. What fun! I will use him in my 4th of July decorations, too! If you feel too crunched for time  to finish him for Presidents' Day, start on him now and finish him for the 4th of July!

I do have another historical president coming up. Can you guess who it might be? Hint, he did use feather pens. And I will also have a Presidential shaker soon. Can't wait to share with y'all!!
Have a wonderful, crafty night,
Holly


6 comments:

  1. Holly! I am smiling from ear to ear with this perfect choice of Presidents. Absolutely wonderful!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the Valentines. They were such a wonderful find, I couldn't believe my luck to find a whole set.
    Did you ever receive your dollhouse? I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth, I can't believe that February is almost here! I knew that I just had to squeeze some Presidents' Day crafts in before February made it grand entrance. Abraham Lincoln was first on the list. I am so glad that you like him. I do hope you try your hand at making him. He is really easy. If you don't have enough time before Presidents' Day, you can always make him for the 4th of July!
      I can't wait for the dollhouse to arrive:) Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  2. Holly~he is just the cutest! I love all of your little folks! They are so adorable. Are you getting a dollhouse????? OOH! What kind??? I have that bug also, but it will have to wait a bit before I can get one.
    Hugs, Sandie XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandie,
      I am so glad that you like President Lincoln! He was so fun to make:)
      I am getting a dollhouse and can't wait. As soon as it comes I will blog about it. Don't you just love dollhouses? They bring out the little girl in all of us. Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  3. Hi Holly. I need your address. I have your Hearts all ready to mail and I can't find your address. Loved what you sent to exchange. Thanks for being a part of the heart swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dear Daughter,
    Such a cute rendition of Mr. Lincoln. I love looking at your creations.
    Looking forward to this weekend. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.