Friday, November 16, 2012

A 2 Tutorial Kind Of Day

 
 
 
Taking a break from decorating the house. I am so glad that DH built some shelves in the garage to hold all of the Christmas decorations. I labeled each tote by the room that the decorations belong, so I just pull a tote and go place it in that particular room. This is so much better than crawling in the "cave", it's under the stairs & sports a hobbit size door or dragging/dropping stuff out of the attic. We already have D#2's tree decorated in her room. I think that when Thanksgiving is over, I am going to be so glad that I decorated early, right now it seems a little strange.
 
I finally finished the Santa Trinket Box. He is so cute. I knew that he would be cute but I didn't think that he would turn out this well. Seeing something that you only visualized come to life is always exciting and when it turn out cuter than you expected well.....that's always the icing on the cake :)
 
If you have made any of the other trinket boxes then he is just as simple. The only different thing is that you have two colors on the arms and legs. Sew the mittens onto the arm piece and sew the "boot" onto the leg piece.
Cut out all pieces. *Just cut out one mustache. *When cutting beard piece make sure to cut and discard the area where the face will show. Be careful when cutting bangs.  I made a right and left foot with a curve to give the boots more of an boot shape. Of course just like the other figures the seam of the legs/feet will face front-zoom the picture of completed Santa if you are not sure what I am talking about.
Sew & stuff legs, arms, body and head. Place beard onto head, this is to get the placement of the cheeks, nose and eyes. Sew cheeks on and glue eyes and nose on. Glue beard on using very tiny drops of glue, this is just to hold the beard in place while you stitch it to the face. You could really just glue the cheeks and beard on, but I like the look of the stitches, it is up to you :)
 
Now, sew the hair for the back of the head on, matching it to the front hair along seam. Trim any stray corners only after you have finished sewing.
After you have attached the arms and legs to the body you can attach the head, using glue or thread.
 

His belt is about 3/8" x 5 1/2" strip of black felt. His buckle is just a piece of gold ribbon cut into a square and glued on. The fur around his ankles, wrists, neck and hat is just a pipe cleaner cut in to lengths. Measure, mark and cut.

The list is just a piece of plain paper with the names of children written with Santa's special pen. I curled the ends and distressed the edges with distressing ink.

Santa's special pen is a toothpick painted red with black accents. I painted the box red and the lid white. Ric rac and glitter decorate the lid. I love polka dots!! But am a terrible dot drawer/painter. I am not sure why I have the hardest time painting symmetrical shapes. Even when I use the end of a paint brush or the eraser of a pencil.....no circles just shapeless blobs. Lightbulb: I punched some polka dots out of plain paper and mod podged them on! Worked like a charm and I didn't have to paint multiple layers of white dots to cover up the red. Glue Santa on making sure to tape the area he will be glued to, but only if you want to glitter the lid. You can read the past posts on the trinket boxes for more in depth instructions.
 

 
Here's a picture of all the felty creations so far. I do have one more to share in a few days and I am trying to decide if I have time to make one more before Christmas!
 
 
 
 
Here's the pattern for the Boy Elf Shaker. It is basically just the same as the Girl Elf but a little bigger (head is 4 1/8" circle). He does have ears, just glue those on. And use pinking shears to cut the lower part of the trim. I used a large rusty jingle bell for his hat. If you use a rusty jingle bell make sure that you coat it with a layer of mod podge to keep all of that rust from getting everywhere.
 
 
** Use Girl Elf's collar for the Boy. As with the Girl, his buttons (gingerbread man and peppermint) are made out of paperclay.

 
Have a great day and happy crafting,
Holly

12 comments:

  1. Such an adorable collection you have :) I love those red lights in the vase too! :) Hope you have a great weekend! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Holly, Thank you! The red lights were kind of an aha moment. I have been collecting them for years, because they remind me so much of my childhood trees. I have a lot! I also use them in vintage mason jars and put them around the house. Have a great weekend too! Holly

      Delete
  2. Oh for gosh sakes! Those little felt creations are absolutely too much! I don't sew and therefore, I drool...NICE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tammy, your comment made me smile :) I have had so much fun creating with felt! Hand sewing is alot of fun but if you don't want to try your "hand" at it (sorry couldn't resist) you could always make them out of paper :) Thank you so much for you sweet comments, Holly

      Delete
  3. Your Santa box is indeed adorable!! All of the boxes are sooo cute!! And I like the boy and girl elf shakers, too!! You make the CUTEST things!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandie! I love making things out of felt and making something that is useful (trinket box) makes it double fun! Hope you try your hand at a few of them :) Happy crafting! Holly

      Delete
  4. Oh My! I need to hurry up and finsh what is sitting on my craft table so I can make these.
    Chris =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris, I know what you mean about hurrying up and finishing craft table crafts. lol-I have so many on my table right now that I have reverted back to my 8"x8" square of clear space for finishing crafts, keep in mind that my table is 8'long and I am using every square inch of that table :) Happy crafts and I would love to see your finished projects, Holly

      Delete
  5. Holly...I have so enjoyed all your felt creations...thank you for sharing...smiles..Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Renee, I am so glad that you are enjoying them! I had so much fun designing and creating each and every one! I hope you have a wonderful Sunday! Holly

      Delete
  6. Hi Holly, Stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Your Christmas collection is so cute and jingly! I am so excited to make your Elf Shakers. They are on my list after I finish a New Year's Hat and Horn character. PLEASE put that creative mind of yours towards a New Year's character. This holiday needs filling out!
    I wanted to ask you if you might like to participate in my Valentine Ornament Exchange either in my group of 12 or one to one. We will be making little nut cup types of ornaments that can be filled with candy. I will be making a little Love Bird for each participant.
    Enjoy your decorating, and baking, and shopping, and ...... (The holidays are exhausting!) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I would be honored to participate in the Valentine Ornament Exchange! I would love to try the 12 exchange and even the one on one-if you don't think that would be too overwhelming? I have never participated in a group swap,so this would be an exciting experience. Thank you so much for asking me. I have not been brave enough to participate before. I do have a New Years character that I am working on....I was iffy whether to continue with him thinking that no one would want to make anything New Years, but I will now finish him and proudly upload him as a tutorial/pattern (I am so glad that you asked!). I do have one more New Years creation up my sleeve- I hope it turns out how I want it too. I have enjoyed your posts so much. Your stories delight me and always bring a smile to my face. I love your pins that you are pinning on pinterest! And all of your creations are just beyond adorable. I can't wait to see what you have created next! You have fun with all of your festivities too! (and yes...the holidays can be exhausting :) Holly

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.