Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Rose By Any Other Name........

This week flew by so fast! D#1 was home from college on Fall break. We had a wonderful time. She and I hit some antique stores and scored! D#1 found some 1940s opera glasses that caught her eye and only paid $5 for them. She was so excited, now she could actually see what was going on down on the football field. D#1 and her friends love going to the college football games. Wish I had taken a picture of them-so cute. I bought a Hoosier table for my typewriter and a wonderful 1950s kitchen chair that I am going to eventually paint red.
 
I have an easy tutorial for you today. The sweet little felt roses that look so adorable on anything. They could even be made out of paper. I haven't tried that yet but I don't see why you couldn't make them out of paper and use glue instead of needle and thread. 
 
Felt Roses
 
 
 
Draw a circle with about a 1" radius (or 2" in diamete)r. I used my compass but you could use anything about the same size. Of course if your circle is bigger it will make a bigger rose and if it is smaller it will make a smaller rose. Cut out the paper circle and use it as a template to cut out the felt circle.

Draw a swirl on the paper. Making sure to taper as you go inwards toward the middle. The middle needs to be a tiny circle-see picture.
 

Start rolling the circle from the middle. After you have rolled a little, take needle and thread and make a few stitches from one side to the other.



This is what the front looks like so far.
 
 

The back will pucker a little as you stitch. This is fine, because this pucker gives the flower it's shape. After you have tied off, add the bead to the center and tie off again.
 

 Finished. Add a felt leaf or paper leaf like I did using glue.
 
Hope you enjoy this sweet little rose. You can now make hundreds in lots of different colors!
Have a wonderful weekend and keep your little crafty fingers busy!!
Holly


6 comments:

  1. Oh this rose is so sweet and cute! Thanks for sharing it! Hope you have a great weekend! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Holly!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly, This is just what I needed to learn for a new project I am making for myself. I was going to use yo yo's but love these even better. Thanks so much.
    By the way, I have a stack of about 50 wallet sized photos of my Halloween crafts this year I thought you might like as you like working in felt. If you would, please let me know elizabeth.andrus@yahoo.com, include your address, and I will post them to you. Always, E

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.