Monday, January 31, 2011

Using a light box/tent

Here's a little bit about lighting and photographing small objects. For Christmas my DH gave me a light box. It is really just a collapsable tent. Kind of like those sunshades that you put in a car and then you twist them into a circle for storage. Before this I used a cardboard box with the sides cut out and tissue paper over the cut outs. This worked very well, but tended to rip alot when I stored it.


Above: Inside the light box is a sheet of scrapbooking paper. I love this paper, it comes in all sorts of prints for just a few pennies, on sale. I also hung a white piece of fabric, held in place by sewing pins, taking care not to tear light box. On either side of box are spot lights. I believe these were purchased at Lowe's home improvement. I also placed one above the light box. This one I "borrowed" from my son's closet.

Above: Here's an object place into the tent with all of the lights on. The inside of tent may look as bright as the above picture, but in the above pic I used the flash and on this pic I didn't.

Above: I didn't use a flash or turn the lights on. The doll may look really good from this angle, but look at the shadows and my camera had a very hard time focusing on her, so pic came out very blurry. This is not good if you are trying to photograph something you want to sell.

Above: Doll came out very stark! I don't like using the flash. I think it makes things look to washed out and other things too bright. But you can see the detail in the white fabric.

Above: This one is better. Image is still too dark for my tastes. Doll is not blurry. I have also found that it is more difficult using a white background than a colored one. I am working on taking lighter photos, but not bleached out ones. I think that I need more powerful spotlights. The ones that I am using were inexpensive and it is hard to position them.

The light box that I made was very easy to make. Instructions are online, just google "Light tent out of cardboard box.". That should pull up some tutorials.
**Disclaimer-please note that I am not an expert. I am still very much in the "learning" stage and hope to progress quickly, as the pictures that I am taking are not up to my standards yet. Please shoot, no pun intended, me some tips if you have any (comment section below will be fine).

Happy crafting,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.