Friday, January 28, 2011

Finished projects!


I finally finished the pillowcase. The longest part of this project was blanket stitching the edge. The yarn I was using was a little too big. When the needle made the hole, the yarn was too big to fit through the hole. I will either use a bigger needle or smaller yarn. I believe she (http://www.yougogirl.typepad.com/) used a size 3 yarn. Not sure what that means exactly, but I plan on asking my crocheting sister. I was really suprised how fast the lace did go. Once blanket stitch was in place the crocheting went fast! Hopefully I will be inspired to make many more of these.


 Below: This is the other project that I was working on for the birthday gift. A little Cupcake! with sprinkles and a cherry on top! I have made many cupcakes, 10 or so, and somehow I remembered how to make them. Or basically the steps to making them. I didn't write the pattern down as I crocheted, so I am not able to give you the "recipe". Sorry. I do make up my own patterns, usually from drawings I do. I did a sock monkey and if i do him again, I will make a tutorial for him-maybe. There are free patterns on the internet and I am sure that there are cupcake patterns, just google crochet cupcake and several should pop up. Cherry was mine too. Sorry no instructions, they are lost somewhere in my brain.
Instruction book of basic stitches because it has been a few months since I have picked up the crochet hook. I have not been crocheting long, so please forgive the wonkyness of some of the stuff that I do. I was amazed at how easy it is to teach yourself to crochet. I learned in how to in about a week. Of course I probably crocheted 8 to 10 hours a day. And ripped out numerous mistakes, but it was well worth it. I can now put down the hooks, pick them up months later and still crochet like a pro novice-but I don't really have to do any refresher stitches. Why did I want to learn how to crochet, you might ask? I was determined to learn how to do this and read the patterns. I had seen the most adorable crochet animals, fruits, foods and many other cutie pie stuff and nobody in my household wanted to crochet them for me or should I say nobody wanted to learn to crochet and then teach me. So, I took it upon myself and I love it! So hopefully I will be listing some thing in my Etsy store soon (http://www.cottonpickinfun.etsy.com/).

Above: Here is the cupcake. It does have a little scallopy edge, I just forgot to smoosh it down. There are little tiny sprinkes on it.
Above: The sock monkey with fleece scarf. He is not very tall, maybe 6".
Maybe I can post some more stuff tomorrow, I seem to be on a roll.....
Stay warm and crafty,
Holly

2 comments:

  1. You go you crafty girl. I love all that you are doing, so productive you are. The size of the yarn, well there should be a size number on your skein of yarn that tells you the size like for example a lot of bulky yarns are a size 5. I have a book with an edge like this on some pajama pants, maybe I can xerox it and send it to you. It may have some tips. I'm loving the posts and the etsy stuff, keep it up! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet comments from my #1 fan. I must have a contest soon....must think of a prize too. Maybe a cutie pie cupcake with a cherry on top! We'll just have to wait and see. Don't have a random number picky thingy, so I will just have to do it the old fashion way--all comments in a hat and draw one! Thanks for the wonderful comments, I do look every 5 minutes after I post to see if you commented. Love this way of connection for us. Love you!! Give hugs and kisses xoxox to your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.