Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Working On My Barn Quilt


It's no secret that I love quilts! I think that there is something so magical about turning a stack of fabric into a wonderful work of art, that is both beautiful and functional. It takes many hours of work to turn that fabric into a quilt. I love the whole process! I have one quilt that took me 120 hours to make. It is a paper pieced quilt. Paper piecing is magical! The process is very easy. Google it if you are curious. Pinterest is full of wonderful paper pieced examples. 
I am coming along with my Quilty Barn Along. I have two more blocks that are almost finished. I had to order more black on black patterned fabric. I just didn't have any in my stash. Can you find the mistake? Look closely. It is the barn on the bottom right. It's the cupolas. I reversed the roof and cupola "siding". But, it's ok. 

I just love the barn blocks. 


I know, I know......not another one. Yep, I found a Featherweight at an estate sale recently. The price was so amazing, that I couldn't pass it up. It's funny, back when I was really looking for one I couldn't find one at all. Now that I am no longer looking, they seem to find me. Not sure if I am keeping this one or selling it. It is in excellent condition with instruction booklet, case and other odds and ends. I don't think that the lady that owned it used it much. Thankfully she was just downsizing. I like those types of estate sales, they are not as sad to me.



It also came with a buttonhole maker for free. They just threw it in at no charge. Said that it didn't make sense to sell the buttonhole maker and machine separately. 

It's very interesting. I am not sure how it works but it came in a little box with instructions.

I love these old labels.

I have recently stumbled upon this site lostquilt.com. I was shocked and saddened to find that people steal quilts. I guess that I never really thought about quilt theft. Some of these thefts happened at quilt shows. So sad. The site is a great addition to the quilting community. Some of the quilts have actually been recovered. Recently a quilter lost 16 quilts to thieves. They broke into her studio and only stole the quilts. You can read about it here: Quiltville Friends on facebook. You may have to scroll down a little to find the article. I also found out that you can microchip your quilt. If I ever enter a quilt in a show or mail one, I know now to put my name and address on the quilt. It is even suggested that you sew it inside the quilt sandwiched between the batting and backing before adding the binding. Great tips. 


It's been hot here but starting to cool off a little. 


Sometimes all you need is a little pool, a water gun and a wet t shirt to rule the world!

Have a happy day and if you don't quilt I urge you to start! If you have any quilty questions just leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer it.
Holly



4 comments:

  1. I love your barn blocks! I kind of ran out of steam and put aside both the quilty barn and quilty silo blocks... perhaps it's time to pull them out and finish them :)
    I saw a pink featherweight at the Road to California show and loved it - too pricey though. If you are contemplating on selling your featherweight, let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your featherweight is gorgeous. I'll have to share this post with my mother (the quilter). She's so talented. I didn't inherit any sewing genes, just the glue gun genes. Love the pool pics. So very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my darling granddaughter #3. She is having such a good time. Love the quilt squares and can't wait to see the finished product. Looking forward to seeing you all at the wedding. Love mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh love your new sewing machine find!! It is funny how when you are looking for something, you either can't find it, or its price too high. Glad you ran into this one, she's a beauty!! :) Love the pool pictures, looks like a fun time!! :) Have a lovely rest of the week!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.