Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fun Flower Tour


Wow! I can't believe that it is July already!! Sorry for the mini vacation. I have been busy: gardening, redecorating, sewing, summer homeschooling D#2, canning, needle felting, painting and just plain old relaxing. Here's a couple of pictures of the yard. 
Cherry tomatoes always go crazy in the whiskey barrels. 





Pretty gladiolas after a rain. They remind me of my Mama and Papa. He always grew them for Mama and would bring them in from the garden for her.



I loooovvvvee my gardenias. I have two bushes that are about 9 years old. They bloom throughout the summer. 

Garden. See the corn that the squirrels planted. I have planted corn for years and can't get it to grow above 2 feet and look at how big the squirrels' corn grew-at least 4-5 ft. I believe that it has 2 ears on it.

Gladiolas, cucumbers, & sunflowers.

Pretty day lilies.

My beautiful butterfly garden. The black eyed Susans outdo themselves every year. It is a huge plot of them, about 6 foot x 14 ft and just full of the black eyed Susans. The butterflies, bees, goldfinches and other insects just love them.

Pot of flowers covering a pump we had to install to keep the area some what dry.

 I planted some zinnias, marigolds, morning glories and a few mystery seeds in those bare spots. Hopefully the b-e-Susans will make a comeback next year. Can you see the clump of weeds in the bottom left corner. The b-e-susans had choked all the weeds out but since there are some bare spots this year the weeds went crazy. They have all been removed now.


Another pot covering up a pump.

Little gnome all spruced up.

I believe this day lily is called a "tiger lily".

Canna after a rain.


   
Dr. Seuss quilt. This year I did the quilt a little different. We had 22 kids and I really didn't want to make 22 blocks. That would have been one huge quilt. I used a jelly roll (assorted Dr. Seuss strips of fabric) to make it. The children were so sweet and I just love their hand prints! I machine embroidered each name under the hand print. You do have to be organized while doing this. I used masking tape to label each child's hand print until I was able to embroider his/her name.

Each child signed their name to the label.

Back of quilt. I pieced the back using all the leftover solid scraps. I love to use up all the fabric and not have any left over. 

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!
Keep those fingers busy,
Holly




3 comments:

  1. Your flowers and vegetables look wonderful. Your gardenias are heavenly. Such a wonderful Dr. Seuss quilt and I loved the idea of using tape to keep track of each child's name. Such a thoughtful keepsake. Summer seems to be going by much too quickly. I'm wanting it to slow down. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden! And I love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are all so pretty! And your gardens look wonderful too!! Love your new background and header picture...cute!! :) Such an adorable quilt you made, that is so lovely to have and to treasure! Wishing you a lovely weekend!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.