Saturday, June 29, 2013

Let Freedom Ring!


I worked really hard yesterday to try and finish the Uncle Sam shaker. Whew....it's finished :) Just in time. You could easily make him in one day. Cut him out now and glue the cardboard pieces on and then tonight while you watch t.v. you can hand stitch him together.  




A very patriotic looking table.


I have been meaning to make some stands for the shakers for a while now. This way you could display them without worrying about the vase. They do tend to flip around in the vase and expose their back. Floral foam works great in the vase too. Just cover the foam with some type of filler: Easter eggs, Christmas lights, plastic grass, etc.
I painted a wooden plaque from Hobby Lobby (.50) blue. Sanded it to get it a little distressed looking. Rubbed a thin layer of Distress Ink (aka scrapbook ink-I love this stuff. It is what I use to make my paper look old and vintagey. I bought it from H.L. on sale. It is the Tim Holtz Distress Ink-vintage photo. ) I downloaded some sheet music, Star Spangled Banner of course. Printed it, cut a circle out, distress it and then mod podged it on. I also painted a layer of mod podge on the whole stand including the shaker rod. Drill a hole in the middle after the mod podge dries and stick the shaker in the hole.




Here is the back. Notice that I glued white cardstock onto the back of Uncle Sam's "shirt". I did the same to the back of the banner. Use the Elizabeth method to construct the head.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also show how to make this banner on my other blog: Prims 'n Pins. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Have a wonderful 4th,
Holly

4 comments:

  1. Holly!!!, you outdid yourself! If my computer worked, I would print your pattern pot and make this cute Uncle Sam! I'm using my IPad, and I don't know if you can print. But, I just love this shaker! Sooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute shaker - You are so creative! And the stand is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's adorable! He looks too perfect there! :) Love his cute stand too!! And love your table with all the patriotic goodness!!! Hope you have wonderful week!! {Happy 4th of July!} xox Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love!!! So darn cute and thank you so much for sharing!! I am looking forward to creating again!! And, I adore your patriotic table vignette!! Happy 4th of July!! xo heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.