Sunday, July 31, 2011

Time For A Change!!

I am not sure why, but around this time of year I start thinking about remodeling. Not the tear down walls, make hubby cry kind of remodeling, but what I like to call "little touches". Such as, painting, installing wainscoting (which I lllooovvveee), adding crown molding, etc. I have been wanting to change my pantry doors for a while now. I wanted a selvaged half glass/half wooden door. You know...kind of like a back door. Nine panes of glass on upper part and regular style door on the bottom. I would need two doors, since I have a double pantry. Something similar to this:

Above: That was until I found this!!!

Above: HOW ADORABLE!!! I had a fit when I saw this! I love it. Look at the handle. Wish I could do it to my pantry. Dear hubby thought I was having some kind of fit when I stumbled upon this photo. I might have squealed, not sure, but I know I started talking real fast and kept saying "Look, look, how adorable!!". He just didn't really understand my excitement. But look below. Adorable!!

Above: Really....can it get any cuter <3  I know that I really couldn't keep my pantry that neat, but with that apron practically covering the disaster inside, why not!?! 

Put a few more things in the Etsy shop. I really had so much fun designing these. I have a million ideas bouncing through my head right now. Next on my list: a Fall one!




Above: Not sure what they are? A pincushion :)

This past week I wanted to make some banana nut bread. I keep my ripe bananas in the freezer. I just place them into a gallon size zip bag and add to it as my bananas ripen. Side note: bananas tend to ripen really fast for me. I like them with a little green and slightly firm. As soon as they get a brown spot on them, into the freezer they go. I tend to have a weak gag reflex and will gag really bad on a riping banana. 
Here's what they look like when you remove them from the freezer:
Above: Yuck!! Total gagness!!! They turn real dark when you freeze them. I do freeze them with the skin on and then just pop them in to the microwave for about 20 seconds and peel the skin right off. I them put them in a microwaveable bowl for another 20 seconds and then I reserve about 1 TBS of banana juice to add to the bread batter.

Above: Yummo!!!

Above: Sure wish you could smell it. Something so comforting about banana bread smell.
The recipe that I use is a little different. It calls for sour cream. This makes a wonderful moist, very moist, bread.
Banana Bread
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan (use butter for pans! )
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We sure did! It's raining cats and dogs here.
Stay dry,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I say go for it! I for one could never pull off a pantry that you could see inside b/c I often shove the stuff inside and close the door really fast! Hah! I know how you feel though, I've been purging our house of stuff, just getting rid of lots of things that clutter up our home and my subconscious!! Hope yall are well and love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.