Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happily Sewing

I just "heart" sewing. I think that out of all the crafts that I do sewing is my absolute favorite! With all of the beautiful fabrics available I just can't help myself. When I was little my mom made almost all of our clothes. Not so much as we grew older. Every year around Easter I would beg her to make my Easter dress, even as a teenage. Laura Ashley was usually the go to pattern. Mom made the most beautiful dresses. I remember loving the sound of her machine whirring as she worked. Sometimes she would work late into the night. I also remember taking the 8 hour trip to my Grandparents' and while dad drove, she would be busily hand stitching the hem or what ever needed to be finished. I even talked her into making a red velvet Christmas dress. I still have that dress hanging in the closet. For senior prom she made a baby blue satin dress. I have that dress too. As soon as I find an antique dress form (I have been on the hunt for one for years now) I will show pictures of the dresses. She did draw the line at making my wedding dress. Oh how I wish that I could have talked her into that :) Anyway getting back to my love of sewing, I am finally back on track with my Quilty Barn Along quilt (by Lori Holt). I have missed this quilt and am glad to get back to it. I have finished all of the "quilts" that are hanging on the barns. Now I just need to build the barn around these 5 blocks.
Lori Holt's Quilty Barn Along
Blocks: Pinwheel, The Water Turn, Summer Star, Bitty Scrap Around Block and Furrows.

The Weather Vane Block. I love this red material. I purchased it in Rome, Ga while visting my sister and brother in law and two sweet nieces. Thanks E for taking me to an awesome quilting shop!

I followed Lori's color scheme closely, it was what drew me to the quilt. I also used her Bake Sale line along with some other fabric lines. Sorry a lot of the fabric I used was just pieces so I don't know the designer of the fabric, but I did use some Bliss fabric too. 
If you want to make your own Quilty Barn then head on over to Lori's blog here. She has detailed tutorials for each block. I would love to see your blocks or quilt, just let me know if you participated in the QBA. 
I have put my Valentine stuff away and am getting out St. Patrick's Day and Easter stuff. I usually decorate with both of them at the same time and after SPD is over I just remove all of the SPD green decorations.

Have a wonderful day and happy sewing,
Holly





6 comments:

  1. Your homemade childhood dresses are such special treasures. How wonderful that your love and appreciation of sewing continues. I wish I had inherited my mother's sewing gene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the dresses! Love your barn block! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have fond memories of my Grandma sewing I have kept one of the dresses she made for me~My Mom sewed too made us girls a lot of clothes growing up~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pretty barn block!! Can't wait to see those pretty dresses!! Hope you have a lovely day!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the sweet comments on my sewing. I'm glad you enjoyed the dresses. And I remember refusing to make wedding gown! Ha. I knew it would have made me crazy. I do love the quilt blocks and can't wait to see the finished quilt. Love to all, mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! My mom is my teacher and inspiration, too. She did make my wedding dress, a d it did take some begging. Your blocks are wonderful. I hope to make these barn blocks this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.