Friday, August 2, 2013

A Take On Classic Creature Features!



Don't you just love scary movies? No....I'm not talking about those Freddy or Jason movies- I definitely can't watch those, nor do I want too :(  But, the classics....like the old black and white The Mummy or b&w The Wolf Man? My personal favorite: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken! If you have never seen this movie you must watch it. Don Knotts plays the main character: Mr. Chicken, and it is just hilarious. Caution: just like any scary movie some children might be sleeping in your bed for months after watching it-there are some scary elements. My 7yr old will not watch it until she is at least 12 :)  To get ready for the fast approaching October, I have designed a line of trinket boxes that are sure to put a smile on your face and a scare in your bones. We will have a total of 5 Classic Creature Features trinket boxes.
The first one up is (big surprise here): The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. I won't spoil it for you but this is my take on the "Ghost". 

Paint the box white and the top black. I painted piano/organ keys, musical notes, flashlight, ghost and spider web on the box. The words "Atta boy, Luther!" are also painted on. I distressed the box using an oil base stain (I like the oil base because it doesn't dry fast and I can wipe it off easily, but watered down brown paint works well too). Mod podge a very tiny copy of the movie poster on the back after the distressing has dried. Mod podge the whole box.

Cut the patterns out for the mansion and bats, don't forget the windows. Trace them onto black cardstock (only cut the windows out on the front mansion piece). I also used gray cardstock and a tiny piece of yellow cardstock for the top window. A glue stick works best for this part: glue gray and yellow cardstock pieces onto the mansion windows. Now layer the back mansion piece on. Trim if necessary. For the bats: paint white floral wire black and twirl around pencil. Glue bat onto wire using a small square of black cardstock on the back. Ditto for the small bat.

Organ keys, flashlight, filler dots, notes and the "Atta boy, Luther!". To make the movie poster, cut it out and glue it onto an orange piece of cardstock. "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" printed on an old book page. If the page is too small to run through the printer, just tape it onto a regular size sheet of copy paper. Print out a tiny copy of the movie poster: just google "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" for a photo of the poster. I like to save it as a file to my computer, insert it as a picture and then resize it with Microsoft Word. There may be an easier way, I just haven't found it.

Cob webs and poster.

Notice the triangle is holding the mansion upright. Cut a triangle out of cardstock, bend one side and glue that onto the mansion. Now, glue the mansion onto the lid.

Pattern here. The ghost was made using white felt. I stitched the ghost using the buttonhole stitch, you could also use the whip stitch. Small black beads were used for the eyes. You can add a bow or make a bow tie from a piece of felt. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Have a wonderful classic monster scary night,
Holly

12 comments:

  1. The organ music from that movie haunted my childhood nightmares for years...lol! Loved that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shirley! I agree, that music will haunt you forever! I did try to upload the organ music from youtube, but couldn't figure it out. I will have to play around with it and see if I can get some "scene" from the movie uploaded. That would be so fun! Have a wonderful not so scary night, Holly

      Delete
  2. How cute! I love the cute...I mean scary ghost. I couldn't access the pattern though. It said I needed permission. I'll check back again later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diane! So glad you like the "scary" ghost! Uh oh...Sorry, I have fixed the link. Trying to remember the Google Docs stuff is crazy :) guess I need to write down the instructions. Thank you so much for letting me know. Have a wonderfully not so scary night, Holly

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I love this little ghost! Sweet hugs!

      Delete
  3. That is a cute ghost box! I generally don't like scary decorations, so this one is just perfect. I remember that movie as a child - it brings back memories :). I will have to see if netflix has it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable and sweet! Thanks for sharing!! Happy weekend to you Holly! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, he's so adorable and sooo cute!! Love your spooky house background too! :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!! We are off to a friend's wedding tomorrow :) xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute-cute! I don't like scary things either, but this is cute. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Holly What a cute ghost, look forward to seeing the others you plan to make. I wouldn't watch scary shows when I was a kid but love to watch re-runs of Twilight Zone they're a hoot ! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute Holly, and I also loved the movie when I was younger. I adore old movies, always have, and will seek them out when I can.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me clarify this. I just have to say that this is absolutely adorable! This was one of my favorite movies from childhood and it still is, even my grandkids like it (and some of them are teenagers)! Love, love, love it!!!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.