Saturday, July 20, 2013

Boo!



I can't believe that July is almost over! Like most of the US, we are hot here. Thunderstorms just about every afternoon does cool things down a bit. Right now I have Fall on the brain. A while ago I pinned this cute vintage postcard. What personality that little dog has! I really wanted to make him into something. Maybe an embroidery? Or how about a little stuffed animal? But the bats and moon are just so fun that I just couldn't make him alone. I decided to make a mini quilt and turn it into a pillow. Don't let the word quilt scare you. The moon, bats and puppy are appliqued on, so it's easy peasy! And with my pattern you could easily make it an embroidery project. Just  cut the pattern pieces out, assembly it with glue and then make a photo copy. This will be your embroidery template. You can now trace it onto fabric using a light box. Before I purchased my light box, I use to use a clear Rubbermaid box with a lamp underneath. It worked like a charm, just be careful and don't get burned.
 
Supplies needed:
Felt
Orange fabric- 10" square
Black fabric #1- 15" square
Batting 15" square
Plaid homespun-fat quarter
Scraps of black and white gingham and orange fabric for pinwheels
4 black buttons
Osnaburg- cut two- 20" square pieces for the pillow
Black fabric- cut two- 10" x 34" pieces
Misc: needle, matching threads, scrap of gingham ribbon, eyes, freezer paper, tacky glue
**Pattern links are at the bottom of the post.

Cut out all pattern pieces. Trace all bat patterns and all puppy patterns onto a small section of freezer paper (on dull side). Do not cut out pieces until you have ironed them onto the black felt. I like to use this freezer paper method to cut felt out. Since the paper gives you a more stable background the tiny details are easier to cut out. The freezer paper is not permanent and will easily peel off. You could also use fusible web. Big plus, fusible web would eliminate the need to stitch the felt pieces on.  Cut out all felt pieces. This includes: moon, green area behind moon, bats, house and all puppy pieces.  Set them aside.

Make the pillow, set aside.

Quilt
Make 4 pinwheels. I like Lori Holt's method found here. Her method uses 4" squares, for these pinwheels use 3" squares. 
Using the homespun fabric, cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x 10". Stitch one strip to the top and one strip to the bottom. Iron.

Now you will need to add the pinwheels to the side strips. This is where accuracy comes in handy. Add one pinwheel to the top of one of the side strips and then to the bottom of the same strip. Do the this for the other strip too. Now stitch the strips to the sides of the orange fabric being careful to line everything up. 

Pin the batting to the wrong side of the orange fabric. I quilted using a stippling pattern. I stitched in the ditch for the pinwheels. 
Trim the batting.
Now, with right sides together sew the 15" black square to the orange fabric, leaving a 3" gap for turning. After stitching all the way around, carefully trim excess fabric and clip the corner points off. Turn. Iron. Slip stitch opening closed.

Now it is time to add the felt appliques. I used a buttonhole stitch for the moon and green background. I "stay stitched" the bats and puppy on. Gluing his nose and tongue on are much easier than stitching. After everything is stitched down, glue his bow on.

Inspiration card!

To add the side pieces, fold 10" x 34" strips in half and stitch. Turn right side out and iron. 
Raw edges are hidden under the mini quilt. You could applique something on this side as well. Maybe a pumpkin? Or full moon? How about a scaredy cat?

After you have added the side panels, stitch the mini quilt on using a slip stitch. 




                                             Pattern #1 is here. Pattern #2 is here.


Hope that you have a boo-tiful weekend!
Holly





17 comments:

  1. I start thinking about halloween as soon as the 4th is over :) Love your pillow and that image, I am making pillows for my daughters front porch swing but nothing that cute or detailed ! Stay cool, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey E! I would love a front porch! I am sure that your daughter is going to just love the pillows! I, like you, start thinking of cooler weather around the beginning of July, so of course that means Fall/Halloween and Christmas :). Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  2. Awww, so cute! Yes, Fall is definitely already on my mind - especially when the retailers are already displaying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda, thank you! I just love Fall and am always thinking of things to craft for it. It is hard not to think of crisp fall breezes and hayrides and of course Christmas when the retailers are already tempting us :) Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  3. Waaaaay cute! I have never decorated for Halloween, Hubs has an aversion to the holiday. But, this is way cute! Not too scary! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti, I am with you. I don't like scary! Cute is the way to go! Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  4. Adorable!! Its true, Halloween be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harriette, I can't believe that July is almost over and that Fall is right around the corner! thanks and have a great day, Holly

      Delete
  5. Aww, so adorable!! I love it and thank you so much for sharing!! You have me inspired to start fall crafting!! ;) xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! Thank you and you are welcome. I can't wait to see what you stir up for Fall! Thanks and have a great day, Holly

      Delete
  6. Oh how super cute and sweet! Love it and love those little pin wheels in the corners! Your work is always an inspiration! Hope you have a great week! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Holly! Thank you and so glad that you like it! I loved your quilt pillow. So fun! Hope that you did awesome at the craft fair! Have a wonderful day, Holly

      Delete
  7. Yeah yeah yeah, the big holiday sewing is back, I just LOVE IT when you start sewing for Halloween and Christmas. Keep up the so very adorable halloween sewing. Also when you visit maybe we can squeeze some sewing in. Love to you, E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liz, so glad that you like the Halloween and Christmas crafts!! We will definitely have to squeeze in some sewing time! Can't wait! Love to the family and we can't wait to see y'all, Holly

      Delete
  8. Holly,
    I was just talking to someone today about trying quilting. This pillow would be the perfect project. The little dog reminds me of my Yorkie. Sorry, I haven't emailed back yet, just finishing up a few more things so I can send you more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carolyn! You have a Yorkie? So do I! She is such a mess. I hope that you will try quilting. It took me a while to get the hang of it (about 2 hrs of quilting). I practiced with scraps until I was somewhat decent. So, don't give up, it really does get easier and easier. Good luck and don't forget to have fun!! I know you can do it! Happy sewing, Holly

      Delete
  9. Holly, beautiful work you sure pay close attention to detail. I guess it is about that time to start working on a few Halloween Creations. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers ox, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.