Friday, December 21, 2012

Yes, Virginia......

 
I love everything about this wonderful time of the year! The hectic pace, yummy smells, glitter everywhere, music, cheerful atmosphere, shopping, winning gingerbread house contests, making gifts, decorations, classroom parties, kids home from school, school plays, choral presentations, Christmas movie specials (yay Hallmark channel) and of course celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ! What a glorious time!!
 
To add to my menagerie of felties, I have decided to include a character from one of my all time favorite Christmas specials: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. I thought that the newer version of(CBS/Macy's) Virginia would be easier to replicate. Not to mention I love that clay character and stop motion look that the movie has- kind of like the old Rudolph and Santa specials that I absolutely adore.
The animated Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
 
Here she is with letter and pencil in hand!
 
 
I am going to simplify my instructions today because I am crunched for time. If you need any help look on some of my previous posts, especially Father Time. This will explain how to sew the coat on without getting frustrated :)
 
1. Paint box light baby blue. Paint white snow swirls and accent with glitter. I also added an envelope (on pattern) and one pencil to each side of the box. I added a painted red square for a stamp.
Make the lid just like the other characters.
2. Boots/legs cut from black felt and assemble. Lightly stuff.
3. Sew body and arms. Lightly stuff.
4. Stitch arms and boots/legs to body.
5. Sew head, before attaching back of head to front don't forget to stitch on face and cheeks. ** I had the hardest time with her eyes. I solved the wonky eye problem by drawing them on paper with a fine sharpie and cutting them out, then gluing them on her face.
6. Stitch back of head to front of head. Stitch hair on. Do not sew head to body yet.
7. Now, sew coat on (remember to read Father Time's robe instructions for help).
8. Add cuffs, gluing them on.
9. Add toggle strips, only gluing the tips. You will thread the scarf through the toggle, once the glue had dried.
10. Buttons and barrette are made out of paper clay. Dry. Paint the buttons and barrette.
11. Glue buttons onto ends of toggles.
12 Glue barrette onto hair.
13. Attach head to body.
14. Add scarf. If scarf is too big to fit through toggles, just trim scarf down until it fits.
15. Pencil is just end of toothpick painted to look like a pencil.
16. Letter, written in your best 8 year old cursive.
Dear Editor,
I am 8 years old.
Some of my friends
say there is no Santa
Claus. Papa says "If
you see it in the Sun
it's so." Please tell
me the truth, is there
a Santa Claus?
 
Virginia O'Hanlon
 

 

Toothpick pencil.

Letter, almost ready to mail.

Snow swirls, glitter, white dots, pencil and envelope addressed to the Editor. I did some research and some of the information said that she mailed it to The New York Times and some to The New York Sun, you could use either. I believe the Sun turned into the Times later on. I used the Times on my envelope by mistake. I originally had planned to use the Sun but forgot. Don't forget to mod podge it on the box.

back


The gang's all here!
This will probably be my last post of 2012. Can't believe the year is almost up!
I'll be back in January with some cutie Valentine things.
 Have a Merry Christmas!!
Holly
 
6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
Isaiah 9:6-7
 

4 comments:

  1. So adorable! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of you to share the pattern! I love vintage and hand made! I love spending time on your blog because you do, too! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! Thank you for sharing your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! What a sweet Virginia you have created. It has been such a pleasure getting to know you through your blog. Thank you for all that you have shared here! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.