Thursday, December 6, 2012

Look At Frosty Go!

I love snowmen! I think that they are just adorable! We don't get much snow here in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, so I have to rely on snowy crafts to get my fill. I found the cutest snowman on Pinterest. When I clicked on it to follow the link it brought me to the cutest website. She had snapped the photo at a craft show which meant.....boo hoo, they weren't for sale. I knew that they were needle felted and I just happen to know how to needle felt. So I made one and it turned out to be the cutest little snowman. Really very simple. I wanted to do a tutorial on him, but I know that not everyone needle felts (hey to my sweet sis!). That got me thinking, what do I have that we can use that is pretty much common in every household. Styrofoam balls, fabric balls, ping pong balls, acorns, etc? What about cotton balls?
The little guy on the left is made out of two cotton balls and the one on the right is needle felted.
 
 
Inspiration photo, via pinterest: heathercameronstylest.
Pattern for hat and nose.



 

 

Supplies needed and of course paint brush and needle. Brown circle is a thin wooden disk. If you don't have one just cut out two smallish circles from a cereal box, glue together, let dry and then follow the steps below.

You will unroll one cotton ball.

Now reroll it. Try to keep this ball smaller than the body ball. You can use your fingers to brush/smooth the cotton ball. Gently rolling it in your hand helps, but don't do this too much or your ball will start looking lumpy. A tiny drop of glue may be used to keep the newly rolled ball from unraveling.

In this photo I have made one eyebrow and am in the process of adding a seed bead eye. Finish the other eyebrow and other eye and then make the mouth (look at photo for placement). Cotton material can be a little tough for the needle to push through, so make sure that you have a very sharp new needle. If this step intimidates you or you struggle with it, just use glue instead. Snip a tiny length of thread (1/8" or smaller) for the eyebrows and mouth. A needle can be a useful tool in helping you to manipulate the thread into place. Glue eyes on, using needle to place drops of glue on the cotton ball before adding the eyes. If the orange felt nose looks too squarish and not round enough to look like a carrot, gently roll that between your fingertips and glue in place.

I found that curling the hat around the end of a pencil helps the hat hold it's shape so that you are able to easily glue the sides together. After the glue had dried, coat the hat with mod podge and dip it into the fine glitter-shh...I don't know if this is proper etiquette but I just dip it right into the bottle, sometimes double dipping.

Looks like a marshmallow with a face!
 
Paint the wooden disk then apply mod podge and glitter. Now assemble the snowman in these steps:
1. Glue body onto disk.
2. Glue head onto body.
3. Glue hat onto head.    
The cotton ball snowman is kind of fragile. He doesn't like being messed with a lot, because he is just a cotton ball after all. Very carefully tie his "scrap of ribbon" scarf on or you could aways glue a bow on-cute! After this step you can add some cheeks. Makeup blush applied with a cotton swab is all he needs or just leave him plain.
Even though the cotton balls are way more fragile than the needle felted balls, I still love this Little Cotton ball Snowman!
 
BFF!
 


What different personalities each one has even though they were made practically the same way :)
 
 
On the Frosty shelf. Tutorial for the Glittery Paper Icicles on yesterday's post.
Have a wonderful, keep those fingers busy kind of day!
Holly
*ps. be sure to go and check out ImagiMeri's blog to see the awesome vintage ornament wreath she is giving away! I love those wreaths.
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Very cute, and it so reminds me of ones from when I was growing up. If you get a chance, stop by as I have a giveaway goin' on.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Meri. I always enjoy your blog so much! Your crafts are so adorable. Have a wonderful night, Holly

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I had so much fun with these snowmen. Thank you for stopping by! Have a wonderful night, Holly

      Delete
  3. Awesomeness!! My sister is a big snowman collector. I'm going to have to make her (and me) one of those tute sweet. Off to find the cotton balls!!!!
    Chris =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! I love snowmen too and can't get enough of them. Rerolling the cotton does make it tighter and you might want to roll two cotton balls together for the body to make him more durable :) Happy crafting, Holly

      Delete
  4. How precious and what fun! I mentioned you on my blog this morning! Stop by and visit when you can! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for mentioning my blog, I am very flattered. That was so sweet of you. I buzzed over to your blog and that Florida sunshine looks so inviting :) we are rainy here today in NC. I lived in Florida (panhandle) for 2 years and loved every minute of it. Have a wonderful night, Holly

      Delete
  5. They are sooo cute! Thanks for the little tutorial too! They look happy as can be sitting there with their friends! :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Happy Holidays! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Holly, Thank you! They do look like they are having fun. I plan on making a few more, kind of like a huge family of snowmen/women :) Thank you so much for always leaving a comment. Have a wonderful night, Holly

      Delete
  6. Holly-the little snowman are sooo cute! Who would think that you are using "cotton balls"!! Of all the stuff I have, NO cotton balls!! Looks like a trip to CVS because I think those would look cute in my bottle brush tree and paper house village!
    Hugs, Sandie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.