Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What in the world is amigurumi?

These past few weeks have been busy, busy, busy. I have not gotten to blog as often as I have wanted to. I am now in full gear for Christmas. I have BIG plans to make most of my Christmas gifts. I am getting better at crocheting and am in love with amigurumi. I believe it is pronounced AM-A-GOO-ROOM-EE. At least that is how I am pronouncing it. Amigurumi means "single crochet" in Japanese. The patterns are super easy to follow and I am having a ball, no pun intended, making these little guys. I have decided to make some for Christmas presents for the little ones on our list. I have even made up some patterns. I am still not very familiar with all of the crocheting terms, so my patterns are a little hard for anyone else to follow. I also use a paperclip as my row marker. It works quite well and if I lose it, I have plenty more up in the craft room.


Supplies, gotta love that this is all it takes. Not an expensive hobby at all! Dear hubby appreciates that.


Naked little fellow. Waiting on his prickly fur. Can you guess what he is?


Did you guess hedgehog?
Here's a smaller one. The arms look a little wonky from this angle, but they really are on straight, I promise, really.... they are. He doesn't have his eyes yet, they are the last to be put on. I am making him some felt eyes. The safety plastic ones that I have were a little too big for my taste. I am going to make a momma and hopefully daddy and a felt mushroom house to put them in. I will have to make up my own pattern for the house, I can't find a cute pattern anywhere.


Look what I received in the mail today. It is my Prairie Women's Sewing Circle quilting supplies. They sent this one in a little cigar box, which is just the cutest. The box is for storing your "WIPs" or "work in progress" projects. This quilt is suppose to be hand pieced, which I love doing. I have been working on a hand piecing quilt for a while and I could finish it in about 2 weeks, but time just gets away. Maybe in January I will have some more time to devote to this project.
Pretty little civil war fabrics. See the pattern of the quilt square in the background. It is called "At Mama's  knee".


More beautiful Civil War fabrics.


Have a great day and keep yourself busy,
Holly



1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing the mushroom house! You are getting really good at the crochet creatures...can't wait to see all your handiwork at Christmas. BTW Happy birthday to you happy birthday to you, happy birthday big sister happy birthday to you! and many more! and kiss the floor, on channel four...love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.