Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Belated Christmas!!!


Merry Christmas!! Sorry, we have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to wish all of my blogland friends a very Merry Christmas. I finished two more yarn characters: Gingerbread Boy and Gingerbread Girl. I have had so much fun making these that I believe next year I will try some more characters. They are made the same way as the snow man with exception of the girl. I didn't make her any "feet". So, she looks more like a tassel before you add her arms. Glue the rick rack on the face first, then glue it on the wrists and then the ankles of the boy. The girl's apron is just a rectangle of fabric, gathered at the top with ribbon sew around and then tied onto the girl. If you would like more indepth instructions for the apron, just leave a convo and I will make some step by step instructions. 




Warning: this post is loaded with pictures. I promised my mom that I would take her on a tour of the house all decked out for Christmas. 
Just ignore the dog dishes. Hoosier that is in the living room but right next to the kitchen. Zoom in for a closer look at the bubble lights behind the snowman and little tree. My little sister made me the napkins that I am using not as napkins but to enhance my decorations :) Two on top of the hoosier and one on the beautiful walnut bowl my father-in-law made me.

Real tree in the living room. 

Formal living room. This is the tree that I hang all of my vintage ornaments on. This year we replaced the carpet with hardwood floors. The hardwood makes the room look much bigger!

Village with working train under the tree.

This is new this year. I added some vintage Annalee elves, hung ornaments from the overhead light fixture along with some garland on the fixture. I really don't like this light fixture but this Christmas I am loving it. The ornaments looked so cool hung from it.

Left to right: Vintage tree top angel, two Target trees, Vintage style snowmen from World Market, bowl of Candy Cane kisses, tiny tobogganing snowman (bought on clearance b/c it was missing a pompom ear muff), napkin little sis made me and scrabble tiles. 


Vintage santa mug with my Snowman kneehugger that was my grandmothers.

Back door. I always clip our cards on the back door blinds and last year I painted these clothespins (found idea on Pinterest) to use on the cards. I need to paint at least 30 more. They turned out so cute.

Top of hoosier:vintage mixer, Santa mugs and pitcher and that funny looking thing in the background is a Santa boot with Holly and a Santa painted on it. I bought the boot at an estate sale. 

Tree with rice lights, bubble lights, wooden bowl with fabric gingerbread men, Snowman that I made using a Bucilla kit.

Spool cabinet.

Tiny vintage Santas. These were my grandmother's.

I love this Snowman couple! It was a thrifty find at $6 for the pair. Hand painted on the bottom of the Snowlady "To Buck and Betty From Wilmer and Sara" (Say-rah-that is how Sara is pronounced down South. I don't know why but that just tickled me so when I turned them over and read that.  My vintage Santa book, plastic Snowman (on the left) and Santa in sleigh with vintage bottle brush tree. The lace table scarf was crocheted by my Great Grandma. She was Hungarian.

Tiny putz village. The only vintage Putz house is the house on the right. The others are ornaments that I have collected through the years from Target, etc.

Snowman collection. Many were given to me from the Sunday School preschoolers that I use to teach. 

On the fridge. Vintage tins, poinsettia garland and a sweet little vintage sleigh on the scale.

Our gingerbread house made at school. D#2 has been sneaking the treats off one by one :) Since it is on a little table in the corner, hopefully the cat can't reach it this year. 


Dining room. Nativity in far corner.


My grandmother's Gurley candles. My grandmother's music box made by my mom.

Our Resolute desk (love the movie National Treasure and the Resolute Desk in the movie). I refinished this desk that was passed down to my husband from his Mawmaw Florine. Vintage typewrite picked up for a steal at $10, it came with it's original metal table. 

My grandmother's treetop angel and kneehuggers. Looks like one kneehugger is camera shy. I did have two sitting there.

Merry Christmas, President Washington!

A few of my Byers Choice carolers singing around the piano.



Real evergreen wreath on the front door (inside). My grandmother's white reindeer.

View from front door to the back door.

My grandfather painted the winter scene. I love it!

Little landing on the stairs.

I refinished this dresser about 17 years ago. It was painted white with contact paper covering the top.

Looking downstairs. 

Vintage toys in the hall upstairs.

Little silver tree purchased from Target after Christmas last year.

Nativity. I love adding a few new pieces each year. We purchased the jewelry tent (on right) and the well (on left) and a few people and one palm.

Hope you enjoyed this little tour and sorry it is so late.
Have a wonderful rest of the week and a Happy New Year!
Holly


9 comments:

  1. Just adorable. I love all the history behind your treasures. That makes them all more special. Love the gingerbreads. Hope your holiday was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the home tour and all your special decorations. How wonderful to have some family treasures. Happy New Year! I can't wait to see what crafts you have in store for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so merry and bright and beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I love your little yarn doll ornaments. We used to make those when we were kids. I'll have to save your pics for next year. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, such a load of Christmas cheer!! It' all so very pretty Holly!! Love all your sweet special details around your whole house!! So pretty!! And your gingerbread people are adorable!!!! If you have time, I would like to know how to make her sweet little skirt! Wishing you a lovely weekend and a very Happy New Year!!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Holly you have a lot of great colections not to mention talented relatives. I covet your snowman hugger, I have been looking for one on eBay. I love your yarn ornaments. I may have to wait until next year to make them since I am pretty Christmased out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you honey for the virtual tour. One year I'm coming up and see it for myself. Everything was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED the tour, saw it a few weeks ago and meant to tell you! WHy don't we have Christmas at your house next year! Love to you, E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas! Yeah, yeah, yeah...I had surgery on my elbow on 11/22 and was in a cast from palm to armpit for 10 days, long splint for 6 weeks after that. No typing and no crafting! YUK. Love the typewriter vignette; I use one too with a little note typed to Santa in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever write instructions for the Gingerbread boy and girl? Did you ever make any other characters. I would love to have the instructions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.