Friday, January 13, 2012

Shazam! It's Cold and Windy!

Brrrr..... It's been cold here and windy! I think the low tonight is 25 with 20 mph winds!! Those cold, icy fingers whip through the house freezing everyone. I know that the people up North think we are so wimpy down here when it drops below 65 degrees. But hey...we don't complain when it's 95 and the humidity is 100%. We just accept our Dolly Parton style hair and continue on about our business.

Above: Yep....she's definitely got it going on!

The night before last, I cooked up a crock pot full of BBQ chicken and had at least 5 large chicken breasts left. I love cooking this way because (1) I don't have to heat up the stove and (2) I can prepare dinner in the morning and forget about it (*not that heating up the stove is a big deal, I just turn the knob, but I guess I do save energy and plus--(3) crock pot cooking is just plain fun!). Salad and corn completed the meal. The crock pot is my favorite way to cook chicken, pork and beef. Since I had so much chicken left I thought that a big pot of Brunswick Stew was in order.  Dear Sweet Son had the misfortune of saying "Not stew again!" Well, in my most motherly voice (kind of like my mother use to say but not these exact words) "OH NO YOU DI'INT....for that son, you may go outside and collect rock and sticks for your stew!"


Well....then after realizing his gaffe and looking quite pitiful, I let him have some and would have even let him have some more, if he asked-because your momma still loves you, even when you insult her stew.

Brunswick Stew
2 quarts whole tomatoes (I did use diced)
1 T. olive oil
2 medium onions
4 garlic cloves (I didn't use garlic)
16 oz. BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Vidalia BBQ Sauce)
8 cups shredded smoked pork or chicken or both (I only had chicken)
2 cups lima beans ( I used 2 cans)
2 cups corn kernels ( I used 2 cans)
3 cups peeled , diced potatoes
1/2 t. liquid smoke (you could technically leave this out, I couldn't taste the 1/2 t.)
1 t. apple cider vinegar ( see comment above)
3 t. yellow mustart (see comment above)

I used my large stew pot. This recipe makes a lot. You can always cut it in half. I did freeze the leftovers to reheat for a quick dinner this winter.

In stew pot, saute onions in olive oil. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Cook forever (or 20-30 minutes) over medium heat. I cooked it for about 3-4 hours adding the potatoes and lima beans the last 30 minutes. For the true Southern experience, serve it with white bread (Sunbeam King).

Here's a picture of the Brunswick Stew. Sorry it's in a plastic bowl. I didn't remember to take a picture until I was freezing it. 
                                    
                                                        Have a wonderful night and stay warm!!
                                                                                    Holly

3 comments:

  1. We're finally expecting more snow here this weekend, Holly, and for the rest of the week too. You can keep those cold winds, though!

    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow! Oh how I would love some snow! That makes for some great quilting weather. It has just been rainy, cold and windy here. Have fun making snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly you are too funny! I laughed so hard when I read this! You out did yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I treasure each and every one in my heart. I love reading them. Time often prevents me from responding to each comment but rest assured they are very precious to me.